Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FLOOD AND HAIL VIDEO FROM 8/17/09

I went out today expecting to get some good flood video, which is exactly what I got! I ventured east of Amarillo near Panhandle and Conway on SR 207. Radar estimates in that area approach the 8-9 inch mark, and I believe it. When I got to Panhandle, 207 had a lot of water flowing across it just south of town. I ventured south toward Conway and saw more water on the roads. I then made it north of Groom, where I got sporadic hail the size of golf balls. Most of it was between nickels and quarters, but it hailed so much that it covered the road. After playing in the hail, I decided to head back to the station to get my video on air. I had time, so I ventured back on 207 to see if it was still flooded from earlier in the day. The road wasn't flooded, but there was a lot of runoff from culverts under the road. Lots and lots of water was flowing from these culverts, and it made for some great video. As I made it to Hwy. 60, there was about 4-6 inches of water covering the road for about a 150-200 yard span. This was very close to the Tyson meat packing plant on the extreme east side of Amarillo. I really can't believe were getting all this rain! Amarillo set a record for the most rain in a 24 hour period which was 2.30 inches. This breaks the old record of 1.65 inches set in 1904! Here is the photos and video from the day:

FLOOD VIDEO: CLICK HERE





No comments: