Wednesday, June 10, 2009

6/8/09 REPORT

Well, as I always say...High risk and I'm done, T-storm watch and I'll have fun. Today was no exception. I'm not sure why, but T-storm watch events have been some of my best days over the years.

I started off in Vernon, TX looking over data and noticed towers going up to my south. I headed that direction and intercepted the developing storm near Seymour. It looked good but never really got going, so I pursued other storms near Munday. By the way, it was very hot and humid down there at Seymour. The cow in the first photo had the right idea! At one point I wanted to join her, but I needed to move on and chase. Anyway, these storms looked ok, but they still weren't what I was looking for. I then noticed a monster cell erupting near Jayton, and the chase was on! It initially headed due east, but eventually right turned hard and headed for the Hamlin area. I made it to Stamford and thought I saw a pretty large tornado under the base. I still have no idea if it was a tornado or not, but it sure looked like it. I didn't call it in because I was too far too see if it was rotating and I sure didn't want to give a false report.

The cell was producing softball size hail at this time in Stonewall county. I continued west to the Hamlin area and the storm was looking to peter out. I was headed home, and the storm very quickly regenerated, and looked better by the minute. I went south out of Hamlin to the town of Noodle and took a few more stills. It was a massive beast at this time, and it was tornado warned. It was kicking a lot of red dirt up underneath the main meso. I stayed south and started making plans on returning home since it was getting dark, and I was still almost 4 hours away. I went west out of Noodle and North toward Sylvester. As I neared Sylvester, I had to stop dead in the road for 20 minutes due to lack of visibility and very heavy wind upwards of 70 mph. After this moved on, I headed for home. What a great chase on a T-storm watch day. I love a good ol' T-storm watch! Blah on the High risk days. Now to the photos...









1 comment:

Steve Miller TX said...

I was watching your storms well to my south and the structure looked impressive. I got to sit under some super high based showers around Canadian. DOH!