Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MEMORIAL DAY CHASE REPORT

I started off the day near Pampa at my parents house enjoying a grilled steak with all the trimmings. I then poured over data and decided to head out. I initially started off in Shamrock thinking the CAPE and better moisture may do it's thing. Nothing happened, and I saw the storm near Canadian remain very persistent, so off I went. I got to Canadian, and the storm wasn't looking too bad. I pulled over and got some shots. I then see Warren, Randy and Russ drive by and pull over, so I went and chatted with them while taking in the storm. We saw 2 brief funnels, but never a tornado. Warren called it in to the NWS, and we continued taking stills. We then began going south out of Canadian to take Hwy. 33 east. We pulled over just south of town to give the storm a quick glance, and that's when I met Angie Norris and Justin Goldstein. We chatted a few minutes and I made my way east on 33. The storm looked pretty good but eventually became outflow dominant. I played in the rain and small hail for a while, and then made my way back west. I saw a developing wall cloud with a developing cell W/NW of Canadian. It eventually died off, and I met Warren and gang along with Steve Miller (TX) SW of Miami to take in the last few gasps of the storms. All in all, probably my best chase of the year. Just ask Steve...we had a honking good time!!! Now for the photos:










No comments: