Friday, May 29, 2009

FORT SUMNER, NM (BILLY THE KID/OLD WEST PHOTOS)

I took a little day trip today to Fort Sumner, NM. It took about 2.5 hours or so to get there from Amarillo. I was just basically wanting getting out of the house, and since I had never been there before, today was a great opportunity to go.

The authentic grave of Billy the Kid was pretty interesting. There were a few other gravesites around too. The museum located near the gravesite was pretty interesting, but it was fairly small, and no picture taking was allowed. It was $3.50 per person to get in the museum.

I looked around a bit and decided to go into the town of Fort Sumner. There was another museum in town and I went in to check it out. It was $5.00, and pictures were allowed. This is definitely the museum to go to. The other one isn't bad, but this one is better. It was large, and it took me about 20-25 minutes to tour the whole thing. Not only did it have Billy the Kid memorabilia, but it had lots and lots of authentic items from the wild west, from old guns to wagons. It was definitely worth it!

I would absolutely love to take a metal detector around the old Fort Sumner area. I am an adventurer by heart, and I'd love to find old authentic western items. Now that would be a fun thing to do when the weather isn't cooperating! Now to the photos:






















No comments: