Sunday, July 19, 2009

7/18/09 REPORT

I headed towards Dalhart after looking at radar data at Hartley. I noticed a T-storm warned cell east of Dalhart and headed that way. The cell looked ok, but I was beginning to get interested in the LP supercell to the north. I watched this beauty for a while, and it petered out after about an hour and a half or so. I then headed down 385 to catch the initial cell I had targeted. As I got to Channing, I saw a very small and brief landspout tornado about 10 miles to the southeast of Channing. I got what video I could while trying to drive because I knew I wouldn't have time to pull over. It was shaky video, but it was still a tornado, and it was on video. I then continued Se on 385 and ran into golfball hail that had already fallen. I got video of that and continued on. I then began getting pennies to an occasional ping pong hail falling as I made my way south. It let up after a few minutes, and I made my way into Vega where I met up with Steve Miller (TX). We chatted, as I handed him a bag of Dill Pickle sunflower seeds to munch on. By the way, these are addicitve. Anyway, we made our way west towards the TX-NM border to look at another nice looking LP supercell. Steve went on, and I pulled over near Adrian and watched it for a while before heading back to the station to get my video edited for the 10 news. What another great chase in July! Maybe today, I can make it 3 for 3 in July!










No comments: